Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott & Co., 1879. 12mo. 84 pp. FIRST EDITION. With engraved frontispiece. Original rust-colored cloth over beveled boards, gilt title on top board. Bookplate of Harris Collection of American Poetry, Brown University, with “withdrawn” stamped in small red print near foot, small red “withdrawn” stamp to foot of page 3, library “date due” slip tipped in to rear paste-down. Item #12218
First edition. The author remarks in the preface that this poem had been composed nearly forty years before publication, and that he had decided to have it printed (as opposed to burned). Harlan (1814-1902) graduated in medicine from the University of Pennsylvania, setting up practice in Newcastle county. He was probably the first physician from the traditional school of medicine to adopt homeopathy, and was most likely the second doctor to practice homeopathy in Delaware. His adoption of homeopathy led to a violent opposition from his former colleagues, and was attacked in public debate and the papers. He wrote both poetry and medical works, including A lecture on Allopathy and Homeopathy and Ida Randolph of Virginia. He also delivered lectures for several years at the State Normal University at Wilmongton on anatomy, physiology, hygiene and organic chemistry. NSTC, III, nstc0321288.