Munich: 1813. first. Complete with half title errata and 10 large folding plates (8 copper engravings and 2 lithographed charts). Contemporary marbled boards over half cloth spine, corners and spine worn, interior is excellent with only minimal browning.
3 copies located: Chicago, Uni. Minn., and College of physicians. Item #14208
First edition of this rare treatise, a cornerstone in the history of hospital reform. The author provides a history of public health and advocates for hospitals to have separate rooms with a ventilation system to remove foul air. Following up on Lavoisier’s research, this work formed the foundation of what became a long discussion over two centuries about the minimum amount of fresh air per occupant needed to maintain comfortable indoor conditions to prevent the spread of germs. An engraved plate of an architectural plan demonstrates the direction of air flow necessary to properly ventilate a hospital. Häberl’s work inspired building designs for hospitals including the construction of the Munich General Hospital in 1813.
Häberl (1759-1846) was an acclaimed physician of the National Academy of Sciences in Munich, distinguished for his initiatives to improve the design of hospital facilities by improving air circulation. He invented a vastly improved hydraulic pump, which he implemented in his hospital designs. He was the directing physician for Saint Max, Saint Anna, and Munich General Hospitals before teaching practical pharmacology at the University. In 1834 The Munich Medical Association honored Häberl with a medal for his contributions to public health.