London: John Churchill, 1858. 8vo. viii, 330,  pp. FIRST EDITION. Brown cloth with gilt lettering on spine; scattered annotations and underlining in pencil. From the library of Arnold Thackray with his bookplate on the paste-down and the ownership signature of J. Paul de Castro on the half title. A newspaper article that includes excerpts of letters from Davy has been tipped onto the verso of the colophon leaf. Item #14760
First edition. Published nearly thirty years after the death of Humphry Davy, this book contains a great number of his letters that were in the possession of Davy’s widow, which came to light after her passing in 1855. John Davy, Humphrey’s brother, was the editor of this work, which “forms a necessary supplement to the Memoirs published in 1839-40. Scarce” (Neville).
Humphry Davy (1778-1829) was a professor and lecturer at the Royal Institution in London, and later president of the Royal Society. Influenced by Lavoisier, he wrote the first textbook dealing with the applications of chemistry to agriculture. Davy was also a pioneer in the field of electrochemistry and his many accomplishments and inventions won him numerous awards and prizes.